Oil Buyer's Guide
Why Go To Halfords?
There are many good reasons to go to Halfords for your engine oil:
- We will check your engine oil for you free of charge.
- We have an extensive range of car oils that covers over 96% of vehicles on the road.
- We have a number of ways to help you choose.
- We will explain in store which oil is the best for your car, or you can use our Online Engine Oil Lookup Service.
- If you need a top-up - we charge only £1.99 for the topping-up-service, plus the cost of the motor oil.
- If you need an oil-change - we sell everything you need to do this at home. Please note that we cannot offer a complete oil-change service in-store. Top-up And Oil-change.
Our Extensive Range
We have engine oil for over 96% of vehicles on the road. So when you come to Halfords you won?t be having a wasted journey.
We have oil for all makes and marques including:
- Sports cars
- People carriers
Choosing Your Oil
There are easy ways to choose:
- Use our NEW Online engine oil Lookup Service.
- Use our friendly in-store customer guide located on our main oil aisle.
- Ask our colleagues in store to check which type of motor oil you need.
Online Lookup Service
Top-Up and Oil-change
Oil levels need to be just right:
- Low engine oil levels can damage your engine by causing overheating and can even result in the engine seizing completely.
- Conversely, over filling can cause leaks.
- Whereas, having the correct oil levels will help maintain optimum car performance.
See our step-by-step instructions: How to check and top-up your oil.
Usually you will need to top up your oil but occasionally you may need a complete oil change. Always ensure to use the correct grade of engine oil to offer your engine protection, to improve performance and increase engine economy. We have a large range of engine oils available for you to buy, suitable for most types of car.
Engine Oil Types Explained
Types of Engine Oil
Motor Oil levels need to be just right:
Mineral Oil is suitable for pre-1990 vehicles
Offers basic engine protection
Requires regular change
- Part Synthetic
- Fully Synthetic
Fully Synthetic Oil is suitable for most vehicles 1990 onwards
Offers ultimate engine protection versus a mineral oil
Lasts for extended service intervals
Best fuel economy, performace and power
Now specified for the latest models by many vehicles manufacturers
All oil will display a viscosity. Viscosity is the thickness of oil over a given temperature range.
For Example if the Engine Oil has viscosity of
This 1st Number relates to the engine oil thickness at cold start-up temperatures. A low number indicates increased engine efficiency and protection from cold.
This 2nd Number refers to the thickness of the engine oil at engine operating temperatures. Lower numbers indicate greater fuel efficiency for more modern vehicles.
Benefits of Using Vehicle Specific Engine Oil
Many vehicle manufacturers require specific engine oils for their latest models. For example Audi engines need high level of engine protection and durability for extended service intervals. This applies to also to some Seat and Skoda Vehicles. Using the correct engine oil for your car type is vital in maintaining a healthy and long living engine. Use the right engine oil for your car with our registration lookup service here. We now stock a range of vehicle specific halfords oils, which use the best quality raw materials, specifically formulated for GM, BMW/MB &VW/AUDI vehicles. Look out for our new Volvo/Peugeot oil in store June 2009
Oil Additives, What do they do?
- Fuel Cleaners: Cleans fuel injectors to improve efficiency and miles per gallon.
- Oil Treatments: Reduce smoke, Reduce engine Noise, improves compression and engine performance.
- Complete Fuel System Treatments: Clean fuel systems to maximize power, improve acceleration and optimise BHP.
- Power Boosts: If used regularly, can help increase octane rating, restore lost Horse-Power, Cleans fuel intake system and are safe catalytic converters.
- Engine Treatments: Treats the engine not the oil, the results are lower friction and lower surface wear.
See our range of Engine Oil additives