Driving Tips And Advice
Before you leave it is important to have an itinerary to plan your journey and make some pre–trip checks on your car.
Follow our to do list:
- Research the route using a map or online route planner such as www.multimap.com.
- Listen to local or national radio for travel information or check with major motoring organisations for news of road works or traffic jams.
- Schedule stops for meals and/or rest for every two hours.
- Check tyre pressures are correct, tyre pressure gauges are available online and in-store.
- Check all the car light bulbs work, the engine has enough oil, the radiator has enough water and the screen wash is topped up.
We have all the products you need for your car.
For more tips on preparing for a journey, look at our Complete Guide To Packing.
Don't put yourself or your passengers at risk and don't hesitate to call for help in the event of an emergency but, if you take the following items, you will be ready for most eventualities:
- Wheel brace and jack – they must be suitable for your car and in a serviceable condition. Check you know how to use them with our change a tyre guide.
- Spare tyre – ensure it is road-legal and correctly inflated. If your wheels have security-locking nuts, make sure you have the right tools to undo them.
- Tyre weld – a temporary tyre repair product that can repair your tyre until you get to a garage.
- Torch – vital if you break down at night. Check its batteries before leaving.
- Silicone based spray – can help on numerous jobs, from easing stiff locks to banishing damp from spark plugs.
- Screen scraper and de-icer – help to clear your windscreen on frosty mornings.
- Winter emergencies kit – keep warm clothes, a blanket, and shoes in the boot, together with food and a hot drink in a flask. See our Winter Motoring guide for more information.
- Antiseptic spray – for use on minor cuts.
- Antihistamine aerosol – for insect bites or allergic reactions.
- Instant ice pack – one that cools on tearing open, to treat headaches or bruises.
Check every three months to ensure that nothing has reached its use-by-date and replace as necessary.
About Car Tyres
Please note that we do not currently sell car tyres online although we do sell them in some of our stores and we may be able to order them for you. Please check with your local store.
However, you may like to view our range of alloy wheel packages, and these include tyres.
We also have an extensive range of bike tyres for sale online and in-store.